Saturday 6 August 2016

Who are "other people" (who make - perhaps - your life "hell")?


"Other people" is anyone who is not me/us and might include:
  • A person (a human being) or people like me I (we) do not necessarily know, the "other" ("autrui" in French) who may or may not have an influence on me;
  • Humanity;
  • People different from myself (superior, inferior, close, distant, of a different sex, gender or sexual orientation, of a different character, with different values and practices, physically different, with different moral values, etc.);
  • A partner (husband, etc.);
  • The members of my family (my mother, father, children, in-laws, brothers, sisters, etc.);
  • Other generations (ancestors, dead or alive);
  • Friends;
  • My peer group members;
  • Neighbours;
  • The members of my tribe or of another tribe;
  • The members of my ethnic group or of another ethnic group;
  • The members of a political party, trade union, religious, sport, or other group (to which I might belong);
  • Rivals;
  • My work colleagues;
  • Competitors, clients;
  • People in my village, neighbourhood or region;
  • People in neighbouring villages, towns, cities, regions, countries;
  • "Society";
  • Foreigners;
  • Immigrants;
  • Strangers;
  • Tourists;
  • The "enemy";
  • Those I dominate (rule, direct, exploit, denigrate, etc.);
  • Those who dominate me;
  • Those who are more/less knowledgeable than I am;
  • Those I love or those I hate (or ignore);
  • Terrorists;
  • Mentally or physically ill people;
  • Those who threaten me or keep watch on me;
  • People carrying (contagious) diseases;
  • Institutions (the State, bureaucracy, political organizations, the judicial system, the media, etc.);
  • The police, the secret service, the army;
  • Figures of authority (teachers, politicians, religious leaders, etc.);
  • People with power, dictators (members of dictatorial, corrupt or totalitarian regimes), etc.;
  • Big Brother, secret societies, sects, conspirators (cf. conspiracy theories);
  • Zombies, monsters, vampires, ghosts, aliens, etc.;
  • Myself in the mirror;
  • My alter ego;
  • An actor's character.

> A definition of "Other" by Wikipedia: click HERE!
> A sociologist's definition of "otherness": click HERE!

No comments:

Post a Comment